Wednesday 2 April 2014

Visual Studio 2012 - class names lost default colour and appear in black

Recently some settings on my Visual Studio 2012 got changed somehow and I lost most of the default colour settings in the IDE text editor for C#. Also "User Types" was missing from "Display items" list of "Tools > Options > Environment > Fonts and Colors" dialog box. So I was unable change the colour manually. I managed to bring back the default settings by doing the following.

  1. Delete folders
    • %appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft Visual Studio
    • %appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio
    • %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio
    • My Documents/Visual Studio 2012/Settings
  2. Open Visual Studio 2012 command prompt (as administrator) and run
    • devenv.exe /setup
    • devenv.exe /ResetSettings
    *devenv.exe location is usually something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE.
I think the first step is irrelevant. So if you experience this problem I would suggest you skip step#1 and just follow step#2.

References

no-intellisense-no-indentation

class-names-not-coloured-in-visual-studio

how-can-i-get-user-type-c-sharp-syntax-highlighting-working-again

No comments:

Post a Comment